This program is designed to meet the needs of an educational program for the members of the nursing team employed in hospitals, nursing homes, home health care agencies, etc., to give assistance in the care of patients. Included in the course is: fundamental nursing skills, medical-surgical nursing, pharmacology and administration of medicine, nutrition, growth and development, personal and community health, and all of the body systems such as endocrine etc. This course prepares graduates to take the state board examination in order to become a Licensed Practical Nurse.
|Time Commitment||Full Time|
|Typical Program Length||12 Months|
Spring term is only offered at the Kingsport Campus.
Summer and fall terms are only offered at the Main Campus.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Pass HESI exam, provide previous HESI scores (within the past two years), or be a recent graduate with an ACT score of 19 or greater with in the last year.
- HESI tests cost $50 per attempt, you may attempt it up to 3 times, and it is non-refundable.
- Once enrolled, nursing students must maintain an 80 or above average in all classes.
- Physical examination
- MMR (mumps, measles, and rubella)
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- Hepatitis B
- Pass drug screen
- Criminal background check
- Malpractice insurance
- CPR and AED certification from American Heart Association for Health Care Providers
- At least 18 years of age
Certified Nursing Assistant
Upon successful completion of the Nursing Assistant topics and 30 hours of long-term care clinical, the student will receive a Nursing Assistant certificate. The student will then be able to challenge the Tennessee Department of Health (pdf application form is shown below) to sit for a Nurse Aide Certificate. Successful completion is obtaining an 80 or above in all Nursing Assistant content.
Steps for Admission to Practical Nursing Program
Note: PDF documents of all forms referenced in these steps are posted below under Books and Supplies Lists.
Please see Steps for Admission to Practical Nursing PDF posted below under Books and Supplies Lists.
426 Highway 91 North
Elizabethton, TN 37643
2533 N John B Dennis Hwy
Kingsport, TN 37660
Care for ill, injured, or convalescing patients or persons with disabilities in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, private homes, group homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 25,620
Current job openings per year: 2,520